| Image from : http://scottmcleod.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c855d53ef0133ed8c0801970b-pidd |
The article written by the Iowa 1:1 Institue talks about how the hardest part of 1:1 computing may not be getting the technology into the classroom but actually utilizing it once you get it. While having this technology you truly have the opportunity to change the whole dynamics of a classroom. One question brought up in this article asks if the new technology creates new opportunities or just extends the same old teaching tactics. The possibility of having 1:1 computing could truly change the world but shouldn't be seen as the cure for all of the problems in the classroom because this new wave could become the biggest problem if it is not properly used and managed. In the video below Dr. Scott Mcleod talks about his thoughts on 1:1 and the Iowa 1:1 Conference.
Though I had a hard time finding a lot of specific schools who have gone 1:1, I do know that the Waverly Shell Rock Middle School is one of them. This school has an iPad for each student in the school. Principal Roger Wilcox gives a great explanation of how the iPads are used in the school and the guidelines for the parents in the video below. I happen to know Roger and he is a great principal ad runs a great school in Waverly!
Overall I feel that 1:1 would be a great opportunity for any school who has the resources and the leadership to take it on. I think that I wold enjoy being in a school with this possibility because I could be exposed to a whole new way of teaching. I have never been in a classroom who is 1:1 but I would like to see how it is actually used someday!
Great posting, John. You found a multitude of resources dealing with the 1-to-1. The videos were useful. It would have been useful if you had provided some context about the iPad video so that I would have know what to expect before watching it. If you are including these resources, provide a reason for doing it.
ReplyDeleteThere are a number of resources that you might find interesting at http://1to1schools.net/ You could continue with another posting where you examine additional information on that site.
Very interesting and informative posting John. I enjoyed learning a little more about 1-to-1, especially in Iowa. I think it would be such a great learning and teaching experience to teach in a 1-to-1 classroom. I feel that this would definitely flip some of the power in the classroom, which some teachers may not like, but I think that it is good to give students some power and voice in their learning. Great resources!
ReplyDelete